How To Get A Better Night’s Sleep
Sleep is such a crucial part of mental health. If we get a bad night’s sleep, then it is easy to feel more depressed, anxious, stressed, triggered, as well as have problems with concentration and memory.
Here are some pro tips for a good night's sleep:
- Put your phone away! Stop looking at your screen 60-90 minutes before bedtime. Also, turn off the TV and make it a rule: No screens before bed.
- Create a bedtime routine. This routine will send a signal to your brain that it is time to go to sleep. A routine can include steps like setting your phone to charge for the night (preferably not in the bedroom), brushing your teeth, washing your face, lighting a candle, and then reading (a physical book or magazine) for 15-20 minutes.
- Try to get your room at right temperature. The ideal "sleeping temperature" is between 60 to 67 degrees Fahrenheit (15.6 to 19.4 degrees Celsius).
- Don’t watch TV or do work on your bed. Reserve your bed for sleeping and sex.
- Stop drinking caffeinated beverages after a certain time. This varies person to person. For example, I cannot have any caffeine past noon or it will affect my sleep. My husband, however, can have an espresso after dinner and sleep just fine. So experiment and see what works for you. And remember: chocolate and green tea contain caffeine!
- If you can’t sleep and your mind is running in circles, read a book (again, a physical book not an ebook). Trying to “force” yourself to fall asleep can often lead to further frustration and difficulties.
Finally, Virtue can help you get a restful night’s sleep. While our Anxiety + Stress Relief formula won’t make you drowsy like other supplements out there, it will help stop the racing thoughts and give you a good night’s sleep without the hazy feeling the next morning. If insomnia is something you struggle with, take Virtue 30-45 minutes before wanting to sleep and start training your body to sleep with the tips outlined above.
Do that consistently for a few days and you should see significant improvements in your sleep.